Congressmen from the United States and legislators from Mexico denounced that the operation of the “Cuban Missions” in Mexican territory are an instrument through which the federal government sends millions of pesos to the Cuban regime.
At the American Museum of the Cuban Diaspora in Florida, USA, the PAN deputy, Mariana Gómez del Campo; Senator Alfredo Botello, as well as US Senators and Representatives, including Congresswoman María Elvira Salazar, Senator Marco Rubio and State Senator Ana María Rodríguez, pointed out what they consider to be obvious anomalies in the operation of these programs.
The federal government of Mexico reported that in 2022 just over 600 Cuban doctors will be distributed in the most remote locations in states such as Guerrero, Nayarit, Oaxaca, where national medical services are scarce, which is why they justified the need to send foreign specialists.
The PAN member, Mariana Gómez del Campo, publicly denounced that the operation of these supposed missions constitutes the crime of trafficking in persons, since “the purpose is the exploitation of these supposed doctors who, in addition to not having a professional title, are ‘hired ‘ under threats. Free personnel with the right to negotiate their working conditions are not hired.
Díaz Canel y López Obrador impulsan y promueven la ESCLAVITUD moderna a través de las misiones de médicos cubanos. ¡Alcemos la voz! ¡NO lo permitamos! ✋ https://t.co/9zYhYpaikc— Mariana Gómez del Campo (@marianagc) October 15, 2022
They denounced that the payment system is agreed between the Mexican government and the Cuban dictatorship and the doctors only receive a minimum percentage, which is also withheld until they return to the island.
They considered the “return clause” a violation of Human Rights, which establishes that in case of desertion, the accumulated remuneration is lost forever, but the most serious thing is the application of the 8-year Law, where participants are prevented from seeing their children and families for that number of years.
They insisted that the purpose of the Cuban regime is the exploitation of these people because “the “missions” constitute the largest item of foreign income for Cuba since at least 2005. In 2018 it represented between 40% and 50% of its balance of payments. abroad”, denounced Gómez del Campo.
Obligations of pregnant women
They revealed that the contracts of the mission workers include personal impositions such as the obligation to give birth in Cuba to prevent the workers from obtaining residence in another country; the liquid net remuneration is 15%, the remaining 85% is for the Cuban regime.
They pointed out that in many of the cases, in addition to not having a professional title, they are “hired” under threat. Free personnel with the right to negotiate their working conditions are not hired.”
In addition, they asked to carry out an investigation into the possible violations of the T-MEC by Mexico, since there are indications of the illegal use of Cuban doctors by the López Obrador government, and they stressed that Chapter 23 (of the trade agreement) prohibits explicitly to the three countries forced labor and human trafficking.
They order transparent salaries of Cuban doctors in Nayarit
The Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS) must provide information on the salary and payment scheme of the specialists who are in Nayarit, instructed the National Institute of Transparency, Access to Information and Protection of Personal Data (INAI).
The foregoing in order to make public resources used in the health sector transparent in the face of the “lack of medical specialists” in Mexico, Commissioner Norma Julieta del Río Venegas commented in a plenary session.
The case was presented after an individual requested information from the IMSS about the 60 Cuban doctors who are currently working in the state governed by Miguel Ángel Navarro, since the response he received was incomplete.
The citizen wanted to know the amount of the salary they will receive, under what scheme they will be paid, if they will have to give a part of their earnings to the Cuban regime and the specific number of doctors in each specialty.