The Cuban dictatorship imprisoned eight young people who were protesting in the city of Baracoa due to the continuous blackouts in the midst of a deep energy crisis facing the Caribbean island. The detainees are in the Combinado Sur prison awaiting trial.
According to ADN Cuba, the young people were arrested on July 16, a day after they went out to protest. The detainees were identified as Richard Sánchez, Dariannis Guerra, Uvensy Matos, Kepler Navarro, Misael Pon, Irioldis Barrabia, Noger Paumier and Ylder Columbie, who are being prosecuted for the crimes of public disorder and incitement to commit a crime.
“So far we have 26 detainees, and they were summoning other people, that is, all the personnel that they have seen in the videos that were at the demonstration, the police are summoning and interrogating them, but since there is no capacity to keep them detained at the Baracoa station, they are giving them dates to present themselves,” said independent journalist Yoel Acosta Gámez, consulted by ADN Cuba.
The protest began around midnight on July 15, when the population was in the middle of celebrating a popular festival. When the blackout occurred, people came out to protest.
“What followed was a strong protest, in which slogans were shouted like Diaz-Canel down, no more hunger, that they were tired, that they wanted a better future,” said Acosta Gámez.
“And when the protesters were attacked by several policemen, they threw stones at the patrol car and threw bottles at them, and one policeman was injured,” he added.
As the blackouts in Cuba continue, as a result of the energy crisis that the country is going through, the discomfort of a population that just a year ago mobilized like never before to demand a better quality of life grows.
Protests in Cuba
Recently, demonstrations have taken place in Jagüey Grande, Caibarién, Sagua la Grande, and in Mayabeque, where some people attacked the headquarters of the Cuban Electrical Union (UNE).
Some protesters managed to share images and videos of a new day of protests against the Castro regime on social networks. The mobilized demanded the restoration of the service to the cry of “freedom” and “turn on the current”.
Quoted by Diario de Cuba, a woman identified as Albuerne Noa commented that the electrical service was restored shortly after the protests began. Likewise, she reported that the mobilization dispersed after the arrival of the special brigades deployed by the dictatorship and maintained that there was also the presence of “infiltrators”, alluding to state security agents dressed in civilian clothes.
The UNE foresaw for last Monday a deficit of 10% of the generation in the “peak” hours -the one with the highest consumption- with a maximum affectation of 450 MW in the daytime. The estimated maximum demand for that day was 2,750 megawatts (MW) and the availability is 2,519 MW and for the “peak” the deficit will be 301 MW, according to the UNE statement.
The dictator Miguel Díaz-Canel recognized in a session of the (unicameral) Parliament the discomfort caused in the population by the cuts in the electricity supply, which have been intensifying in recent months.
The dictatorship has explained that the cuts in the supply are caused by breakages in the plants, the fuel deficit for distributed generation and scheduled maintenance.